Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday in Taipei

Another day of exploring and another short video. I learned the Taipei MRT system a bit today. Very efficient. It's amazing how "powerful" you feel when you get over the initial hesitation of walking into a subway station, making a transfer, taking a shuttle without speaking a stitch of the language, navigating the pay machines, the turnstiles, deciphering which platform to use all without the real ability to ask someone for help. It's a pretty fun accomplishment. OK - so I've given my all to diving deep into the culture: eating the food, walking around, using the subway instead of safe hotel cabs, etc, etc. But when I saw a Gordon Biersch just outside of Taipei 101 I treated myself to beer, ribs and garlic fries!!!

The trip to the 88th floor of Taipei 101 was a bit ho-hum. I guess if you've seen the view from one skyscraper, you've seen them all. I had a much more enriching experience at the museum and even the night market AND EVEN the provincial towns of Taoyuan. Taipei 101 seemed identical to top of Eiffel Tower, Sears Tower, Generic Tower, etc, etc. Overpriced gifts at the top and haze and pollution blocking the view :-)

Now that it's Sunday night and I'm back to work tomorrow the rest of my week will be limited in terms of exploration. I may do some stuff after work but my guess is that ambition will decrease proportionately with my energy level after work. Anyway - here's a video and just a few pics.



Some "home cooking" in Taipei :-).

No comments: